Cancun is Mexico's most renowned resort that ranks amongst the world's top summer vacation spots.
Located on the coast of Yucatán Peninsula in southeast Mexico, Cancun sits north of other very popular resort area known as Riviera Maya.
The resort attracts millions of tourists from all around the world which should come as no surprise given its stunning turquoise sea, pristine white-sand beaches, vivid coral reefs, numerous hotel resorts and lively nightlife.
The best time to visit Cancun in terms of good weather is from December to April, which is also the high season. In the summer and autumn (May - October) there is a higher chance for rainy days, though on the other side you can rely on good hotel deals and cheaper prices during this period.
When you enter Cancun you'll notice the long Kukulkan boulevard, also known as the Hotel Zone, that runs through the 15-mile-long sandbar and is flanked on each side by hotels, dining establishments, shopping centers, and nightclubs. Many of the city's all-inclusive hotels may be found here, catering to everyone from honeymooning couples to families on vacation.
In Cancun you'll find 10 gorgeous Blue Flag beaches that boast spectacular sea views and soft sand. The hotels in the Hotel Zone offer to their guests a private stretch of beach. Along with private beaches you have also access to public beaches like Playa Gaviota Azul, known to locals as Playa Forum, and Playa Delfines which is popular with its attractive moderate to intense waves.
Cancun is a great place for nature lovers and adventure seekers. There is a wide range of activities you can do to enhance the enjoyment of your holiday.
From simply lounging and relaxing on the beach to visiting ancient archaeological sites of great importance or having fun at some of the many cenotes and natural parks, here are some suggestions of places you may visit:
- Enjoy a day on the beach and water activities like snorkeling, surfing, jet skiing or parasailing. Choose between the many beaches in Cancun - Playa Delfines, Chac Mool Beach, Caracol Beach, Forum Beach, Gaviota Azul Beach, Punta Maroma and more.
- Take a day trip to Isla Mujeres by joining a cruse with open bar, free drinks and music while admiring the stunning beauty of the Caribbean. You'll have the opportunity for snorkeling and also a free time on the island to enjoy the incredible white sand beach with turquoise water.
- Visit the archaeological complex of Chichen Itza, one of the New 7 Wonders of the World, related to the Maya people ( it's about 200km from Cancun )
- Visit Xcaret natural park, one of Mexico's most wonderful theme parks.
- Take advantage of Cancun's lively nightlife. Spend a night to remember by attending the great live shows at Coco Bongo - Cancun's top night club
- Enjoy a water fun day at some of the many centotes near Cancun - Cenote Dos Ojos in Tulum, Cenote Azul and Cenote Cristalino at Playa del Carmen, etc.
- Visit the Underwater Museum of Art, the Wax Museum and the Scenic Tower.
- Visit some of the numerous archaeological sites on Yucatan peninsula, including El Meco, El Rey, San Miguelito, Tulum, Cobá, and Muyil.
- Go to Playa del Carmen, one of the most popular resorts on the Mexican Riviera Maya ( some 68km from Cancun).
- For those wishing to indulge in a little retail therapy, Cancun offers a variety of stores, from posh malls and designer boutiques to flea markets. Some of the busiest malls in the city, including Marina Puerto Cancun, Kukulcan Plaza, and La Isla Shopping Village, are located in the Hotel Zone.
More Photos of Cancun: